We’ve already finished the first week of the year & I haven’t written my 2022 goals post yet, oh no! Part of that is because I am still debating on what I want to focus on this year and part of that is that we are still in the midst of this pandemic and I’m not sure if the big goal in the back of my head is even feasible for this year.
So I’m concentrating on creating new habits right now. I let a lot of things slide last year for a variety of reasons and it’s time to get back on track.
I got myself a habit tracker calendar off amazon, I know that there are a lot of apps but I do better when I can see the calendar more easily from my desk.
5 easy habits I’m working on:
- No sugar in my coffee in the morning. I used to be really good at this, but at some point I started drizzling a little sugar on the top of my homemade latte to add some texture and next thing you know, I’m drinking chestnut praline lattes with all 4 pumps of syrup at Starbucks. While it’s not as fun, I’m back to straight coffee & oatmilk lattes with no added sugar.
- Flossing – this has always been something I’ve struggled with but last March when I wanted to go to the dentist, but was waiting until we got vaccinated, I found a brand called Cocofloss on Instagram. I got their starter kit and did the 21 day challenge. I’ve flossed almost every day since. I like that their floss is a little thicker and it’s coated in coconut oil.
- Doing my skincare routine morning & night. This again was something I really had a hard time with, I would fall asleep on the couch at night and then skip this step. But I noticed that my skin was not looking great and knew something had to change. So now, in the morning when I put my contacts in, I have a little routine. Contacts in, floss, brush teeth, wash face, put on lotions & sunscreen. Same thing at night minus the sunscreen when I take my contacts out. It takes 5 mins for the whole process & I feel so much better afterwards.
- Making the bed. We don’t have a bed with all the pillows, shams, etc. so this should be easy but for some reason I resisted for a long time. We started letting the cats into our room since we are home all the time and I was finding that having them sit/sleep/shed near my pillow was really affecting my allergies so I started making the bed and it helped a lot. Not only with the allergies but it was nice to see the bed made whenever I popped into the room.
- This one is still a work in progress but I’m trying. It’s getting dressed every morning. I’ve really gotten into the habit of staying in my pajamas all day long. I find that I’m more productive if I am actually dressed so this is something I’m going to work on.
Bonus: Stretch &/or Yoga – I’ve started adding either a stretch or yoga class to my routine. The Peloton App even has standing yoga classes which are easy to do during the workday when you take a short break.
What are some habits you are working on as we start the new year?